Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#344592 - 29/04/2011 22:49 "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!"
drakino
carpal tunnel

I really have to wonder what some advertising companies are thinking when they come up with ideas like this one:

Looks like it already blew up in one developers face when he updated his app with it.

#344596 - 30/04/2011 01:28 Re: "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!" [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I wouldn't want to use a program that did this but I can see how the developer wouldn't care about annoying people they aren't making any money from anyway.

If you really want annoying try the ad supported version of Angry Birds.

Matt

#344597 - 30/04/2011 03:31 Re: "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!" [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: msaeger
If you really want annoying try the ad supported version of Angry Birds.

You've got that right. The utter morons who developed that game decided that putting ads in the bottom-right corner, where they only covered the ground wasn't enough. Instead, they decided to cover the top-right of the screen, which most of the time BLOCKS ACTUAL GAMEPLAY. Friggin idiots.

#344598 - 30/04/2011 05:07 Re: "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!" [Re: msaeger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger
I wouldn't want to use a program that did this but I can see how the developer wouldn't care about annoying people they aren't making any money from anyway.

The problem with the strategy of shifting to a more annoying system is that it may lead to a vocal minority starting enough of a review revolt to push users away who would have otherwise not been bothered by the ads. A modern developer looking to make some money off mobile apps needs to do more then just be a programmer. They also need to know how to market, or at least be able to have enough good reviews to bring in more users. More users means more income, be it for a paid app, or a free with ads app. If the app starts off successful, then does something to annoy users, it's worse then doing the annoying part at the beginning before the app had any traction.

Google has been very successful with ads due to their great balance between providing enough enticing features for free, while serving revenue generating ads that aren't annoying enough to detract from the free benefits. For example, I can't see Google moving to a model where they force users to watch or look at an ad before logging into GMail or when running searches. They do however go for that strategy in video, as users are already more accustom to that kind of ad with video content.

Angry Birds managed to also do well by generating a ton of hype from their paid iOS version, then going for an ad supported version on Android. Had they not been successful on iOS, I doubt they would have been as successful on Android based on how annoying the ads are.

#344599 - 30/04/2011 05:11 Re: "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!" [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Martin Adamek
APNdroid is republished in Market with notification ads removed. I received email from Google that confirms that the app was suspended because many users reported it as malicious or malware-like.

Seems the behavior of putting ads in the notification area caused enough users to flag the app as malware, thinking something was wrong. Or enough users were upset that they intentionally did this to have it pulled down, a fate far worse then just receiving a bunch of one star reviews.

#344606 - 30/04/2011 11:37 Re: "Our ad strategy isn't working, make it more annoying!" [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
A solution that places ads onto a system while the app is not being used will not fly with any customers. This AirPush solution is going down in flames.